More from Ross & Ross GiftsRoss & Ross Gifts are a small, multi-award-winning food gifts company, based in & around the Cotswolds. We produce a range of food gifts and grocery items that are intended to uplift the traditional British food flavours. Our range includes British BBQ, British Roast, Veggie & Vegan, and Curing Kits for bacon & salmon.
No Artificial Ingredients
No Artificial Preservatives
No Artificial Colourings
This Eco-friendly curing kit is a great beginners kit for anyone looking to learn how to cure their own proper dry-cured bacon. Cure up to 1.5kg of bacon. Super easy process - the initial steps only take 30 minutes. A great cooking experience where you will learn a new skill.
Why cure your own bacon? The home-curing trend has been a popular form of learning a new skill and gives you the opportunity to create proper dry-cured bacon or salmon at home. The kit uses traditional artisan methods of drawing the moisture out of the meat, which stops the watery texture that you usually get with shop bought bacon. The method used within this kit preserves and flavours through the combination of salts, nitrates, nitrites or sugar.
- Fennel & Juniper curing mix (85g)
- Butcher’s hook
- Instruction booklet
Shelf life: minimum one year but the cures will only lose flavour after that period, they are not dangerous to consume.
Packaging: cardboard, glass, card
Does not include pork.
- What cut and how much pork do I need? We recommend using pork belly from your local butcher or supermarket. You will need 1.5kg of pork belly for the curing mix. You can also use back bacon if you would prefer. We recommend curing for an extra day to ensure the flavour penetrates the meat properly
- How long does it take to cure? The whole bacon curing process takes 7 days, but only needs 30-60 minutes preparation time
- Can I re-use the kit? You can reuse all of the contents in the tube, apart from the cures. Just hand wash the muslin. We also sell refill packs of the cures
- Where do I hang the bacon? You will need to find a small space in your fridge to hang the bacon. You can use any part of your fridge that will allow the bacon to hang. We recommend using the back of the fridge, the side door or the shelves
- What are nitrates and are they bad for you? They are a commonly used ingredient which are added to processed meats like bacon, ham, salami, and chorizo. They function as preservatives, helping to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria causing botulism and salmonella. Nitrates are only considered bad for you if cooked at extremely high temperatures and consumed every day
Prep & usage
Although it sounds complicated, it really isn't! The process is so simple, and only takes 7 steps. The whole process takes 7 days and your Kit comes with an easy to read instructions booklet for you to follow.
Country of Origin
|Service||Price||Estimated Arrival||Order Within||Free Delivery Threshold*|
|Standard||£4.95||Friday 10 February to Tuesday 14 February||7 hours, 52 minutes||£40.00|
|Express||£7.95||Wednesday 08 February||9 hours, 52 minutes||£40.00|
Ingredients & Nutrition
Fennel & Juniper Cure (85g) – Salt, Sugar, Fennel Seed, Fennel, Juniper. Preservative: Sodium Nitrite, Sodium Nitrate. Antioxidant: Sodium Ascorbate
All product information is specified directly by the Merchant. TheFoodMarket.com assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about the products listed. If you believe any information might be inaccurate, please contact us.